Second Harvest Food Bank of Metrolina
Organization description: SHFB strives thru education, advocacy and partnerships to eliminate hunger by the solicitation and distribution of food. We provide a regional distribution warehouse and branches that supply food and grocery items to our non-profit partner agencies that assist people in need. Second Harvest serves 14 counties in NC and 5 counties in SC. Volunteers are needed to help inspect and sort food or non-food donations so that we can distribute those items to our partner agencies such as soup kitchens, homeless shelters, emergency pantries and low-income day care centers.
Website link: www.secondharvestmetrolina.org
contact information - address, name, phone number and email of volunteer coordinator: 500 – B Spratt Street, Charlotte NC 28206 Volunteer Manager – Nancy Hagerman. firstname.lastname@example.org
Opportunities available and whether they are one time (date and time) or ongoing:
· SHFBM is open for volunteers 17 + years of age Tuesday thru Friday (2 shifts) 9am-12noon and 1pm-4pm, Thursday evening 6-8pm and Saturday 9-12 or 1-3 PM. *Please note that no one under 17 is permitted to volunteer during our weekday shifts.
· Youth ages 13 – 16 years with a parent or an adult 21+ years of age can volunteer on Thursday evenings 6-8pm or Saturday 9-12noon or 1-3 PM. Youth Groups must have 1 adult (21+) per 4 youth. Min. age is 13 years and no younger siblings will be permitted as we are a working warehouse with fast moving equipment, These rules were placed by our board of directors for the safety of everyone.
· Mobile Pantries are located at various Title 1 Elementary Schools. Dates are listed on our online calendar by school location. Volunteers meet our staff at the school. Most pantries start at 4:15 and we are usually finished by 6:15 PM. Volunteers help distribute can goods, produce, dairy and meat to the families of the students that attend the school. ANY AGE CAN HELP AT OUR MOBILE PANTRIES.
· Sign-up is easy on our online calendar! Our online calendar shows all volunteer opportunities including mobile pantries, backpack and senior boxing events, special events as well as our regular projects here at our Charlotte Warehouse. Families – each person will need to create a volunteer profile however if you use the same email for each person, CERVIS will group you together as a family. Example: If you are bringing a child, please create a profile for yourself and add your child to your profile by clicking on “add individual to my profile”. Remember to schedule each person as you will each need to be on our schedule.
Please visit: https://www.secondharvestmetrolina.org/give-time
1. Click on the red box “Register to Volunteer”.
2. Volunteer Opportunities Page. Click on a listed event or the tab “Register for an event”.
3. Submit your email and your first name – click on next & complete your application.
4. Individuals - Once you are ready to schedule volunteer time, go to the calendar and select any available date/shift and schedule. Please note that each individual must setup a profile and schedule including all family members. Using the same address/email will connect you as a family.
5. Groups – use the dropdown arrow to select your group or if you did not setup your group yet, click on “Create a New Group”.
· Once you are scheduled for a shift, you will get a confirmation & a reminder email the week before. Your reminder email will also include a link to cancel if you can’t attend. Our system will track those that do not attend so please be courteous and cancel which will release your spot to others on the wait list.
· As per OSHA regulations, all volunteers must wear closed-toe shoes as you will be in our working warehouse. You will not be permitted to volunteer if you are wearing flip flops, any kind of sandal or an open-toe boot due to a foot injury
· We give project instructions to the entire group at the beginning of the shift. Anyone arriving more than 30 minutes late, will be asked to reschedule. Thank you in advance for being considerate to our staff and the other volunteers.
· Volunteer verification forms will be given to all volunteers that request at the end of their scheduled shift.
required age: During our weekday shifts Tuesday thru Friday – min. age is 17. Evenings and Saturday – min. age is 13. Age 13 – 16 must be with an adult. Youth groups must have 1 adult per 4 youth.
Second Harvest Food Bank of Metrolina
500-B Spratt Street, Charlotte, NC 28206
Phone: 704.805.1712 Fax: 704.342.1601